Sunday 31 August 2014

Monthly Round-Up | August

Eat and Drink
Plum Tucker, Red Hill

Its been a while since Jess and I have shared a day off together and this August (much like last August) we took advantage of our state's show holiday. We stumbled across Plum Tucker in Red Hill after finding our desired destination in Paddington over booked. This cafe was pleasantly surprising for both of us. I had a delicious interpretation of Báhn mì with their outstanding home made chicken pâté. Jess also enjoyed a delicious lunch of avocado, pumpkin smash and haloumi on sourdough. 

If either of us are in the Red Hill area again and are looking for a delicious meal I doubt we'd hesitate at where to go. Great service combined with high quality, yet affordable meals, is always a winner. 


Listen

After a two year wait on my all-time favourite musicians, Kimbra, dropped her new album, The Golden Echo, this month. It was definitely worth the agonising wait. Her sound has morphed and matured so much I want to hug and congratulate every song on this album. Most of us were expecting a different sound after the single 90s Music was released a few months ago but none of us could have predicted the beauty that Kimbra produced. 

As always, the energy is constant with seamless transitions and a multitude of moods wrapped into one. My picks would have to be Teen Heat, Carolina, Goldmine, Miracle (obviously), and Madhouse. If you're going to listen to any of the album I recommend these but you can never go past a cover to cover listen through. 

P.S. Her costuming in the two video clip releases is jaw-droppingly stunning. 



Read
Bossypants, Tina Fey

Since the beginning of this year, I have realised how much I prefer autobiographies to fiction novels. Starting with Caitlin Moran's How To Be A Woman and Malala Yousafzai's I Am Malala I continued my years female autobiography binge with Tina Fey's Bossypants. If you enjoy comedy and 'strong independent women' who still have no idea who they are or how to live life then you will love this book. Her comedy writing translates so well into the telling of her life. 

You'll see in my next favourite just how influenced I was by reading Bossypants. Thank you, Tina Fey, for injecting a little bit of happiness into my daily life with your wonderful real-life story telling. 

Watch
30 Rock

I am so late to the party with the discovery of the genius that is 30 Rock but I have little shame. This show in snappy and addictive and everything I've needed to hide from the shit-storm that my life has been of late. Thanks to inserts in Tina Fey's Bossy Pants I read snippets of this show and was converted before I even discovered it on my hard drive (thank you house mate). I suspect this will be a September favourite as well. 

Beauty
Fit Me Concealer, Maybelline New York

I may have mentioned but Priceline had a fairly wicked half-off Maybelline New York sale early this month. I picked up many goodies including the Fit Me Concealer, obviously in the lightest shade. I have a stupidly large collection of concealers that I never seem to finish before moving onto new products and this is no different. I've been wanted a similar product to Rimmel's Wake Me Up Concealer for a while now and this is definitely the replacement I've been looking for. I can't guarantee that your appreciate of one will match the other but this is definitely a viable dupe (yes, I know they're both drug store brands). 

Life/Tech

Finally! After about a year of waiting for Uber to make it to Australia it has finally landed. Ever since I heard YouTubers raving of this amazing car service, I've known it would be a great addition to my life. There are still sceptics aplenty in Brisbane, and all over Australia, but I think that as the masses slowly realise this is a much better method than the current taxi service, there will be no turning back. Cheaper fares, happier and better-treated drivers, and tracked user/driver accountability can't be beaten.

Hope you've all had a fabulous month. Bring on spring time!
Erin xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...